The texture of weathered wood and patterns formed by a fieldstone foundation  drew us to make an image of  this old barn in Thiensville, Wisc.
This is another shot from our recent trip to drop off new work at Cedar Creek Pottery in Cedarburg, Wisc. We were fortunate to come away with this image, given our scheduling this day found us shooting right around noon, when light is harsh.
I should thank the great American photographer, David Plowden for giving me the courage to point my camera of barns like this.  
If you don't know him, David is famous for his image making of American farmland, steam trains and small towns. He was good enough to sign one of his books, "A Handful of Dust: the  Disappearing America," for me when we met a few years ago. On the cover is an abandoned storefront, a beautiful image. After seeing that, I figured, if David Plowden could do old storefronts, I could do barns! See David's work at www.davidplowden.com
More of my barns, plus other work is at www.ernestjschweitphotography.com

No comments: